Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Review - Grover Beach Restaurants

A.J. Spurs (1760 El Camino Real)

I have seen this restaurant off 101 many times, but finally decided to eat there while I was on the frontage road. The decor is decidedly Western, with stuffed heads lining the walls. The service is friendly (at least for me) and they serve meals with a pot of their beef vegetable soup. They offered beans and salsa, which they say you should mix all together with the soup for a taste sensation. I declined the beans and salsa, but the soup was fantastic. I should have ordered some of the beef, but the chicken Alfredo sounded perfect for that day. They allowed me to substitute tortellini for the fettuccine, which I was thankful for. They offer free refills on the sodas and their salad was good. There was so much pasta that I took half of it to-go. They even offer a dessert option (root beer float, scoop of ice cream, or a liqueur). I opted for ice cream, even though I was stuffed full.

The only negative thing I noticed was that the waitress seemed to treat the couple at the next table in a more "neutral" fashion. It was interesting because usually waitresses treat men on dates better because they know they will get a good tip. This time I fear it was due to the fact that the woman was Asian and the gentleman was Black. This is one of the problems I have found in this area, and coming from the diverse Bay Area I find it offensive. Despite this, I will definitely return here in the future. However, if I see this same treatment again I will not return and will certainly say something, perhaps on Yelp.com.

Follow-up: I just checked my receipt and found that they print the amount of possible tip amounts (15%, 18%, 20%) at the bottom. That would be great, if only they used the amount BEFORE tax!! They calculated the tip amounts based on the total bill, including the tax!!

No comments: