Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Review - Cayucos Thrift Stores and Antique Shops

I enjoy heading up to Cayucos to check out their antique shops and thrift store. There is an antique shop on the left as you drive into town from the South that is hardly ever open. I did shop there once and got a great item so I always look to see if it is open when I am in town. Sometimes the library has books for sale, but I don't know if they will still do this in their new location at the grade school.

Remember When Antiques

This is a great shop that is in an old mercantile building from the late 1800s. There are three floors, and it is a mall-style shop. I enjoy this style of shop because it offers lots of different types of items, and this shop does not disappoint. However, there were a lot of empty stalls, and there are a ton of "new" items for sale now. There is a second shop down the street, perhaps they should consolidate the booths again and get rid of the new items. That said, I did buy one thing here, and it was from a new booth!! The folks were friendly here, and I will definitely return again.

Rich Man - Poor Man Antiques Mall

This is another mall-style antique shop, and it is also in an old 3-story mercantile building from the late 1800s. It is nice to have two shops so close to each other, so you don't have to walk too far between shops!! Most of the items in here are old items, but they have had the same stuff here forever!! This can be good, but it might keep the locals from regularly shopping here, they will assume that they have already seen everything. I will definitely return here, hoping that there will be something I can't live without!!

Remember When Too! Antiques

This shop is a couple blocks south of the other two mall-style shops, and must be related to Remember When. The shop is smaller, only one story, and has lots of jewelry and stuff in glass cases. There is a lot of ethnic art and jewelry booths. There isn't a lot of the sort of stuff I shop for, but most people will find something they like. One negative is that there is a strong odor of mildew when you enter the building. When I am in town I will return to this shop.

Cayucos Seniors Gift 'N Thrift

I try to always stop at this thrift shop on my way through town. It used to be next to the Cayucos library, but now that the library has moved I fear that their customer base might suffer. Of course, the library might also suffer from lack of patrons due to the move away from the thrift store. There is a pretty good selection of books here, and also some home-crafted items for sale. There is not a lot of turnover in the shop, and I see the same things each time I shop here. I will still check the shop out when I pass through town.

No comments: