Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Review - Restaurant - Embarcadero Bar & Grill

I had been to this restaurant once several years ago, when it first converted from The Fish Bowl. At the time I remember a strange ordering process, rude staff, and a HUGE salad. When I moved down here 2 years ago I tried it again and I noticed a new front ordering area, great chicken strips, an odd self-serve condiment area, and a fantastic view.

Imagine my surprise when I visited this restaurant today and found a totally different restaurant!! Not only did they change their name to Embarcadero Bar & Grill, they have hosted seating and servers now!! Their menu is totally different, offering high-end food, and they beefed up the Bar. They will soon offer some of their own brews and plan on having football events there in the future. I will definitely return here, probably with friends and family.

I arrived mid-afternoon on a weekday and had to wait a bit to be seated. My server, Nick, was conscientious and attentive, which is hard to find around here if you are a single diner!! I had a coupon for a free appetizer with purchase of a drink, so I combined that with my dinner. Their popcorn shrimp were hot and tasty, the batter tasted sort of like good chicken strip batter, and they offered both tartar and cocktail sauce. I chose the cocktail sauce for my dipping, and it was great, not too spicy.


Since I prefer a crunchy salad I ordered a Caesar salad with blue cheese dressing (which was not listed on the menu). The salad was a bit expensive, the Romaine was not from the heart which is more traditional for Caesar, and the croutons were nothing to write home about. I will probably save the extra $2.00 the next time and order their regular garden salad. I was happy, though, that I had ordered the Caesar salad because I used the leftover Parmesan cheese in my main dish!!


For my entrée I ordered the Chicken Pesto Penne dish. I was surprised to see that there was no Parmesan sprinkled on the top, or available for me to sprinkle myself. So, I just used the leftover cheese from my salad!! I was happy that I was dining alone because I could use the extra fork to eat my entrée, as they didn't bring me a new one. I am sure he would have brought one, but they should bring an extra one out with the salad. I was so full by this time that I didn't enjoy this dish as much as I should have. The chicken was tasty, and the pasta cooked just right. The pesto was a bit oily, but it was good. The pasta came with some garlic bread that was nothing to write home about. I ended up taking my leftovers home and will eat them for breakfast!!


I will definitely return here, the staff was very friendly and attentive, the food is good, and the view is to die for. I was able to get a good view of the Rock (before it "went on vacation"), boaters, kayakers, some seals, some birds, and a jellyfish!! Nick was great, he gave me another appetizer coupon, I will bring some friends next time.

Morro Rock "On Vacation"

No comments: