Monday, February 22, 2010

Review - Cayucos Restaurants

Cayucos Restaurants

Brown Butter Cookie Company (250 N. Ocean Ave.)

I had read about this shop is a local paper and was happy to try out their cookies. It is a small shop, with an open kitchen. It was nice to see all the ladies making cookies at the tall table. You almost had the sense that if the customers weren't there they would be gossiping amongst themselves. It sort of had an old-fashioned feel.The cookies themselves were great. I liked the regular brown butter with the sea salt the best and I bought a 6-pack of those and a 6-pack of their honey cookies. I appreciated the option to taste them before spending a ton of money for the cookies!!

The only thing I didn't like was the attitude of the people doing the tasting that day. I think they may have been the owners. I was curious and asking questions, and their answers were borderline rude. For example, I asked if the cookies were a shortbread and she answered "Well, it's OUR version of a shortbread". Kind of snobby. Don't know if I will return to this shop again, I may take visitors in there the next time people are in town. If I get the same attitude vibe I won't return again.

Sea Shanty (296 S. Ocean Ave.)

I was in Cayucos for a library book sale and needed some lunch. The library is right next to the Sea Shanty and it had some convenient parking, so I decided to try it out. It was not clear when I walked in if I was supposed to wait to be seated or seat myself. I ended up seating myself outside, which was nice and I could see the beautiful green hills. I ordered Fried Chicken Breast Sandwich, steak fries, a side salad and soda. It was good, I will probably come here again if I need a restaurant in Cayucos that has ample parking (the other restaurant further down the street had no parking in front).


Cayucos Candy Counter

I know this isn't a restaurant, but I wanted to review it for my readers. This shop has chocolate candies, jelly beans, taffy, and some other candies. It also has ice cream and gelato for sale. I wanted to try some of the chocolates, and asked for an English Toffee. I wanted another flavor candy and asked the counter lady about the Peanut Butter Caramel Crunch. She didn't have anything to tell me about it. I asked her about what the "crunch" was, she looked at me blankly. I said "Like is it honeycombed, or something like Rice Krispies?" She said, "Oh no, it is not Rice Krispies, probably something like toffee". So I purchased it to try. I was shocked at the price!! Over $3.00 for two pieces of candy!! I shouldn't have bought any, but I was trying to get in the Cayucos spirit!! Anyway, the English Toffee was fine, but both candies tasted like they had been in the case for a while. Like they had absorbed the flavors of the other candies in the case or something. And, the coup de grace is that, of course, the crunch in the Peanut Butter Caramel Crunch piece WAS Rice Krispies!! I should have paid for a Whatchmacallit bar instead. I won't be back to this shop for the candy. I might try the ice cream if I can't find another place in town to get a cone.

No comments: