Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Central Coast Renaissance Festival

I went to this festival last year, the first time I had ever attended a Renaissance Faire, and had such a great time that I decided to go again this year. I spent a year trying to find a pewter tankard that I could drink my mead from, and finally found one (and a pair of pewter goblets as well). That is about as far as my costume went, though.

Lara the Lacemaker

This event is nice and intimate, combining living history with vendors and a variety of shows. Kids would love this, but many of the games cost extra money.


The shows are free and usually involve singers, dancers, musicians, performers, and (the most fun) weapons!!


My favorite is the full-contact jousting, specifically the Queen's Joust, which is the final one of the weekend.


The food options are also varied and popular, the funnel cake line was the longest when I was there. I was a bit put off by the price for the mead I had looked forward to for a year. They charged the same amount but used such a cup half the size of the one they used last year. I will not be purchasing mead next year!! Bring lots of water, it gets warm here and the shade options are few and far between.


I loved how all the festival participants stayed in character, clothing, speech, and manner. The participants are like a family, they all know each other from the other Faires and have a good-natured banter going back and forth!! The Queen is perfect, just the right amount of "regalness" and her dress is beautiful. I got to play mancala with a Scotsman!! I will return here again next year if I am in town, fun was had by all.

No comments: