Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review - San Luis Obispo Swap Meet

I finally had a chance to check out the San Luis Obispo Swap Meet last Sunday. It is held at the Sunset Drive-In Theatre, and costs $1 for walk-ins, or $2 to park inside. Since my feet are bad, and there were no close parking places outside, I opted for the $2 fee. There are about 7 rows of offerings, about 80% used stuff. About 5% is produce and plants, and the rest is new stuff.


I am hoping to get in there one of these days as a seller, so I asked a few people for advice, and took some pictures of some of the displays for ideas. Most people have their wares spread out on blankets or tarps. The "regulars" have tables and usually got two booths. The people on the perimeter wall used the wall as display space. The type of stuff I sell is not really represented at this swap meet, so I don't know if it would be worth it. The booths cost $20, $40 for produce booths. I think I will try it once, perhaps in November or December as I have some holiday themed items to sell.


The food options were interesting, two Mexican food booths (Tamales and Menudo) and the snack bar was also open. I got a hot dog, but was craving some freshly popped popcorn. I asked at the snack bar and they pop the popcorn the night before. When I bought my hot dog there was no popcorn left, so people must not mind it not being freshly popped. I ended up seeing a movie in town after I left the swap meet to get my popcorn fix!! Next time I will try the tamales, people were crowding their booth.



I was surprised that the swap meet allows weapons to be sold. There were several guns (some rifles and a pair of pistols) as well as various swords and knives. The latter may have been due to the Renaissance Festival being next weekend, don't know. All in all, people were in good spirits, check out the guy smiling in the plant booth!! Unfortunately for the sellers, the only thing I was tempted to buy were some dahlia plants.



No comments: