Friday, July 16, 2010

San Luis Obispo Farmer's Market

I thought I would celebrate my 2-year anniversary of living on the Central Coast by attending the weekly Farmer's Market in San Luis Obispo. I went once before, last Fall, when it was "WOW Week" for Cal Poly. It was really crowded with sororities and fraternities and most of the tables were political or religious in nature. Yesterday it was still crowded, but this time with tourists and children. You have to be really patient while walking through the market.


I noticed that there was only one political table per party this time, and only one blatantly religious one. They should have a grammar-check on their whiteboard!!


There was an interesting table that was pushing some paranoid agenda about the 9-11 terrorist attack. The group was purported to be composed of architects, engineers, and firefighters.


Overall, this event is amazing. They do not allow dogs, and have a bike parking lot. There are tons of different options for food, including crepes, BBQ, Italian, Mediterranean, Asian, dessert, snacks, face painting, dream interpretations, massages, caricatures, etc. F. McLintock's wins for the longest line!! The fresh produce was well-represented, my favorite was the booth that had white, purple, and orange carrots.


The music was also good, there was an old-fashioned patriotic county band, a jazz band, a new age guy, a "regular" band, and my favorite "The Lord of the Cello"!! This guy was dressed in a kilt with combat boots and was playing an electric cello. His music was fascinating, sort of like techno-Celtic!!

I will definitely be back for this farmer's market, especially if Marston Smith (the electric cellist) is performing. Here is a little video I made of a portion of his performance:


No comments: