Friday, January 8, 2010

Review - Restaurant - The Cannery

I visited this restaurant when it was called The Outrigger, now it is under new management and has a new name. The menu is the same, though, and they currently don't have a liquor license.

This building is a staple, right in the center of the Embarcadero. The views are fantastic, and they have a dog-friendly patio. The decor is sea-faring with maps on the table and portholes to the kitchen, and block & tackle hanging from the ceiling. The menu was pretty balanced with some beef, poultry, and fish options. Note, the photos here are from my first visit, when it was still The Outrigger. The photos I took tonight were too dark to use here!!

I was able to get a window seat with a nice view of the Rock. They brought out some whole wheat rolls and butter, the rolls were a little warm, but got too hard as they cooled. I probably wouldn't eat them next time, not worth the carbs!! I ordered a cheeseburger, fries, a green salad and a bottomless soda. The soda came in a HUGE glass, my hands could hardly get around it!!

The salad, while tasty, was just a bit too small. I ordered mine without tomatoes and onions. I liked the Romaine lettuce, the addition of celery, the huge slices of carrot, and the fact that they brought it out with a salad fork. The dressing was nice, and the server offered some extra blue cheese crumbles. The croutons were good, I finished the entire salad.

I was happy to be able to order my burger medium-rare. It is a rather large burger and bun, but rather tasteless, perhaps it needed some salt and pepper while being broiled? I made sure that all the toppings came on the side, because the last time I got some soggy lettuce. The fries were ok, a bit too thick for my taste. Tonight they were a bit more fried compared to the last time I dined here.

The first time I came here my server was not very attentive, but the busboy made up for her deficiencies. I wish there was a way to tip only the bussers!! The second time I dined here the server and the busser were both helpful. Third time's a charm, I guess, I got an attentive server who asked all the right questions. I heard my neighbors order "fresh" fish, that was actually frozen. Perhaps they should update their menus. Also, the shellac on the tables is really sticky, perhaps that is due to the humidity in Morro Bay!! I might return here, if I have guests who have a desire to feel like they are inside a ship!!

3 comments:

admin said...

*General Comment* Just wanted to say thank you for reviewing the businesses in Morro Bay. We are staying here as tourists for a short while, so we'd rather spend our time exploring the 'hits' and avoiding the 'misses'. Too bad you don't like seafood, that would have really helped us. Anyway, keep up the good work!

cc93443 said...

You are welcome, I didn't originally envision this site as a review site, but that is what it became. I have almost finished all the restaurants in town, so I will hope to get back to other stuff!!

cc93443 said...

Michelle:

I forgot to ask, which restaurant(s) did you try?

cc93443