Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review - Deli Sandwich Options in Morro Bay

Nibble Nook

I love a good deli sandwich, and have been trying to find a good deli option in town. So far the best place I have found is the Nibble Nook on Quintana. They are a friendly place that also serves pizza, real pizza. I got a half sandwich and salad combo, a soda, and chips to go. The prices are a bit steep, seeing that I could make the same sandwich for half the price at home. If I was out and about, and needed a good sandwich, I would go here again. The best thing about the sandwich is the fact that the bread is nice and fresh.

Subway

I also tried the sandwiches at the local Subway franchise ("Five Dollar Foot Longs"). I was really disappointed in the quality. The bread was so dry it gave me the hic-ups!! And the sandwich had no taste. They never seem to have my favorite chips, and their sodas are quite expensive. So, I end up getting chips at the Dollar Tree and a soda at McDonald's. I have been here several times since, especially when they have the $5 footlongs and coupons. The last time I tried their new healthy roll and was pleased. But, they discontinued the roll and now I go to Albertson's for their $4.99 sandwich.


Del Mar Market

I was excited to check out the deli portion of the Del Mar Market up on Main in North Morro Bay. They had not one, but three, signs that indicated that they had a deli. When I asked inside, however, the guy said that they used to have one but now they just have ready-made deli sandwiches for sale!! Change the signs already ...

Bottle Liquor Shop

Woo Hoo!! The Bottle Liquor shop on Main St. has opened their deli counter!! I talked to some people at a local jewelry shop and they said the sandwiches were fantastic. In fact, one of them said it was the best pastrami sandwich he had ever had!! They use the order technique that the many of the local delis use, which is eminently logical. Instead of a set menu, they provide you a form that you fill in to build your sandwich. They are open from 10 am - 3 pm. There was also a form for breakfast items at the same counter.

I tried the deli today and ordered a croissant sandwich with chicken breast. The sandwich was HUGE, but it wasn't anything to write home about. Next time I will try a regular sandwich, or perhaps one of their "salad" sandwiches. They did have a ton of choices for chips and sodas, including a 20 ounce Cactus Cooler!! While I was here I also noticed that they have a ton of wine choices in individual-sized bottles. I will have to come in here and stock up soon.

Later, I returned to this shop to have their cheeseburger meal. $3.99 for a burger, fries, and a drink (any size). The people are friendly, the burgers are good, and who can pass up a large burger meal for four bucks?? I didn't like their slightly seasoned fries much, but I think it is still a good deal.

Wow, I went here yesterday for a chicken salad sandwich (pictured above), I got mine on a croissant. It was amazing!! Some sort of nuts, red grapes, celery, and green onions mixed with mayo and big chunks of chicken breast. Fantastic. I will definitely return here. They also sell a 16 oz. can of Coca Cola now for 99¢. I could have eaten half and been full, but since I was out and about I ended up eating both, plus 2 sodas and a bag of chips. YUM!!

The next time I visited this shop, I realized that they charge 50¢ for a non-cash transaction!! I wouldn't have had a problem with this if they posted the sign in a more prominent fashion. They have a little sign posted on the glass counter at the register, which can easily be overlooked by the shoppers. In fact, my friends who were in town last week were surprised by this as they didn't see the sign either. They did say that the burgers were great and they had the vegetarian sandwich which was also good. I would have hoped that since they had a lottery winner there and "won" over $600,000 they would take away the charge for non-cash payment, but it was still there when I paid cash the other day!! Nonetheless, I will still return here for their great deals and wonderful deli sandwich options!!

Follow-up: They no longer charge the 50¢ for a non-cash transaction, but the quality of their chicken salad has tanked. They are using dark meat rather than white meat and I keep getting bones in my sandwich!! I think their standard deli sandwiches are still fine, and large. I like that they have a wide range of chips and drinks. I think the next time I go I will try a standard deli sandwich on a croissant and hope for the best.

La Parisienne


I decided to try out the sandwich options at La Parisienne, their croissant was nice and fresh. The sandwich was a bit more expensive than I had hope for, but it tasted good. If I was down on the Embarcadero and wanted a nice sandwich I would try here again.

Albertson's

Lately, I have been buying my deli sandwiches at Albertson's. They offer several bread options, and you can choose any of their meats and cheeses. I usually get a turkey on wheat with lettuce, mayo, and Havarti cheese. They give you plenty of meat and 2 big slices of cheese. In fact, I usually eat half for one meal and save the other half for later!! Their sandwiches are only $4.99, too, can't beat that.

No comments: