Friday, May 29, 2009

Review - Restaurant - The Coffee Pot Restaurant

I had a fasting blood test this morning and decided to spend my last dollars of the month at The Coffee Pot Restaurant. I had been here for breakfast once before, as I recall I had the Eggs Benedict with turkey instead of ham. I am sure that time I was disappointed that they did not serve lunch before 11:00. Luckily for me, I arrived shortly after 11:00 today.

After verifying with the waitress that the croissant turkey and bacon sandwich came with cheddar cheese, I ordered that with french fries. I normally order a side salad, but sort of lost my "salad" appetite after I discovered that their salad comes with pickles, that's right, PICKLES in the green salad. Also, I usually order soda, but only if it is bottomless. This restaurant charges 75¢ for refills, and I noticed a refrigerator filled with cans of soda.

I was happy with the french fries, they were crispy and I didn't even need the ketchup until the last few. This may have been because I was the first lunch-eater of the day, I don't know if they are always this crispy. [Note: on another day they were not so good]. The sandwich actually came with Jack cheese, but at least it wasn't Swiss cheese. I had been hoping that the croissant would be crispy and fresh, but was disappointed. It was probably fresh, but not crispy and it fell apart as I was eating it. It did taste ok, though.

Overall, the quality of the food was good, but I don't think I will come here again. While I was still eating, the waitress came by to refill the sugar packet container. She should have waited until I had gone. [Note: this happened on another visit, and some friends of mine had the same thing happen and worse, the waitress kept trying to clear away the dishes while they were still eating!!] Their salad may have been good, but I didn't try it. [Note: on a later visit I did have the salad, I asked the waitress what came on the salad and she neglected to tell me about the pickles, at least they were on the side!!] The prices are a bit steep, depending on the tourists, I suppose. I paid $12 for my sandwich and fries.


I decided to try this restaurant again, was craving some chicken strips. They do not list them on the menu, just a croissant chicken strip sandwich. The waitress let me order them separately, for which I was grateful. I confirmed that they still do not offer the bottomless soda option before ordering water to drink. I recalled that their fries were not very good and got a salad with the chicken strips. The waitress, again, neglected to disclose that the salad has pickles on it. But it was tasty, if a bit small, with Romaine lettuce, large pieces of carrots, and lots of blue cheese dressing. I was surprised that the strips came out with no dipping sauce, perhaps they thought I would use the blue cheese dressing? They were fried fresh, but there was an odd flavor as I ate them. I couldn't nail down where the flavor was coming from, perhaps the breading, or the dill in the Ranch dressing, or even from the oil it was deep-fried in?

The owner is a nice man, and when you interact with the waitresses they are nice, too. Unfortunately, on my previous visits my waitress never came back to make sure all was OK, I had to wave down the other waitress for a refill of water and to bring me the ketchup. I was sorry to leave just a 15% tip, but she didn't do anything to earn more than that. This most recent visit had a more attentive server, but the food was not good enough to warrant a return to this restaurant. The other guests seemed like a mix of locals and tourists. The owner even sat down at one of the tables!! I wish I could say that I will be returning, but that will only happen if I happen to be with a group who goes there.

No comments: