Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review - Restaurant - Harbor Hut Restaurant


This restaurant is a major landmark in Morro Bay. I remember having a surprise cocktail hour for my grandmother's 70th birthday party here back in the day. However, I am sorry to report that I was not happy with the restaurant portion of the Harbor Hut.

It was a warm day and I decided I didn't want to cook dinner at home. So, I headed off to The Embarcadero. The Harbor Hut seems so high-end, but when all is said and done it is just a bar with a mediocre restaurant attached. Great view, though.

As I entered the restaurant, an unfortunate odor emanated from the restrooms. I should have turned right around, but I thought it would not waft into the dining area. Wrong!! In addition to the odor, there were flocks of flies buzzing around. Did I give up? No, but perhaps I should have.

I ordered Chicken Marsala, which came with mashed potatoes that were not listed on the menu!! They offer bottomless sodas, although the refills are few and far between. They were stingy on the ice, for some reason. Their bread was only so-so. I also ordered a side salad (minus the red onion) and was happy that they had blue cheese dressing. The salad greens were nice and crunchy and I liked the beets and croutons.


I was not impressed at how SLOW the service was, even though there were not a lot of people in the restaurant. The food was not really so bad (although I had a really bad steak here once), but the combination of slow service, bad atmosphere, and high price for low quantity rates this restaurant pretty low on my list.

Follow-up: I have to say that I was quite impressed with the service and food I had last night at The Harbor Hut. It was the night of the lighted boat parade and I had neglected to make a reservation for a window seat!! Duh ...

Well, the tall manager was so sweet and moved some people around to fit me in. I was so grateful that, despite the fact that I am still unemployed, I bought a glass of wine, soda, meal, and dessert. On top of that I tipped them 25%, which of course I can't afford, but was necessary. My table was at the side of the restaurant, so I was able to see the boats as they passed the restaurant, and got some pretty good shots with my camera, too!! There was no smell, and I was happy that the service was slow (at least this time they had reason for the slowness due to a FULL dining room!!) I was able to see the entire parade and left right as it finished. I will definitely return here next year if I am in town for the parade, in fact I will make a reservation for the little table at the front window for 5:45.

Another followup: I ate dinner here again, and the service was pretty lousy. Really slow, and it was like pulling teeth to get the waitress back to my table for a soda refill or the bill. I never know if it is the fact that I am a singe diner or just the wait staff when this happens.

No comments: