Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review - Restaurant - Taco Temple


This restaurant has a huge following, people from out of town always make sure to visit when they are in town. Located in North Morro Bay on Main in the Spencer's parking lot, this restaurant is always full. When I drive by I see lines of people waiting to be seated. They do not take debit or credit cards, but you can write a check if you are local. Reasonable prices, "cool" wait staff, and decent food combine to deliver a hit. That said, I only order one thing from their menu and it isn't any better here than at any other Mexican restaurant. People say that their carnitas are great, and they do have many unusual specials (such as scallop tacos). I always see a great cross-section of people here, from families, to single diners and large groups. The restaurant has a great atmosphere, with surfboard styled benches where people wait for their take-out. The North Morro Bay trolley stops right out in front of the restaurant, so you can easily get here from the campground or somewhere else downtown.

They gave me (a single diner) a small bowl of chips, which was more than enough. The other diners (including a male single diner) got a larger basket of chips. The salsa was good, not too spicy, but the chips were overdone and a bit dry. But, they were crispy and I ate them with my dinner.


I have only ever ordered the trio of chicken taquitos, which come with a little salad, some green sauce, and sour cream. I got a bottomless soda, which comes in a nice large glass so the server doesn't have to refill mine so often. That said, I had to wait a while for a server to see that I needed my refill. The taquitos were only OK, rather tasteless actually. The creamy cilantro dressing didn't get on all the greens, and it was a bit too vinegary for my taste. It might have been a good thing to dip the taquito in to give it some more taste.

Generally, this is a restaurant where I wouldn't mind meeting people. However, I will not be coming here on my own again.

No comments: