Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Review - Oceano Restaurants

Rock-n-Roll Diner

Housed in two old train diner cars, this restaurant is definitely picturesque. One car has fixed booths, and so the diners usually get in this car. The other car has moveable tables, and so you can accommodate a larger party here. They also have events here and cook outside. Bands perform outside and drinks are served. I discovered that they also offer some Mexican and Greek options on the menu, apparently the owner is Greek!!

The first time I went here it was when I was down interviewing for a position in Grover Beach and I was checking out the area. I came upon this fifties diner and HAD to have lunch there. I love the old ads and maps posted around the booths walls. They have little juke boxes at each table, but they were not working. The music playing was fifties and I noticed that the tradition is to leave your business card on the ceiling. I browsed these cards and many were from tourists, but more were from locals. You have to love a place that the locals enjoy. While I was there, a table full of local men were gossiping. It really was a local hang-out and I got a feel of the community. Some other visitors were some photo-journalists from Australia who gathered some local kids and interviewed them for their show. Fun!!


I have ordered the cheeseburger meal and the BLT, which was good but I wished they didn't use processed turkey. The most recent visit I ordered the cheeseburger, but with a salad this time. They have bottomless sodas, and I used a coupon for a free milkshake (which I took to-go). The prices are a bit stiff, but it's worth it for the atmosphere. My server helped me with some local directions, and I appreciated his accuracy as I didn't get lost!! I will definitely return to this restaurant, especially with some friends.

No comments: