Friday, June 12, 2009

Review - Morro Bay Pizza Restaurants

Domino's Pizza

I have always been a Domino's Pizza fan, but lately I have found that their ingredients seem to be going down in quality. They recently changed their recipe, so I tried it out. The new garlic salt they slather on the rim of the crust is too salty. Their new sauce is too spicy for me, although I tried their white sauce and it was good. Their new cheese is a bit less grainy compared with their old cheese. Apparently, you can order your pizza without the garlic salt, and if you ask for the Marinara sauce instead of the new sauce it tastes like their old sauce. I have to say that I have also ordered their pasta bowls and they were good. I got the Chicken Alfredo bowl. I will probably continue to use Domino's, especially since they have some coupons to use. Domino's has this new online ordering system which works great. They have all the coupons online and you can even watch a progress bar so you even know when the pizza left the shop. I still order from Domino's, usually getting a pizza or a pasta bowl.

Round Table

The first time I went by Round Table to buy a pizza, boy was I disappointed. I waited at least 5 minutes at the counter while the guy was fooling around in the back somewhere!! Forget it, I don't need their pizza. They had a salad bar, which looked like it had been sitting around all day. I do like that they offer personal sized pizzas, but they were still rather expensive for a chain store. And, they had a wide selection of toppings, also. But, the bottom line is that they should treat the customers well, and they should have at least two people working at the same time, one in the back and one at the counter!! I will probably not go back there.

Well, I did go back and ordered a personal-sized pizza. I ordered white sauce and baked chicken as a topping. Their salad bar looked a bit better this time, but it was nothing to write home about. My favorite toppings were not there so I didn't get a salad. They offer a weekday lunch deal that I am sure people take advantage of. The pizza was OK, I ate it in the car while I did my laundry.

Nibble Nook

I was so mad when I left Round Table the first time, and I still wanted a pizza, so I drove down the hill to the Nibble Nook. When I was there for sandwiches the pizza smelled authentic, like the pizza place I worked when I was a teenager. They didn't have a personal size option, so I ordered a small cheese with extra cheese and light sauce. Thick crust costs a bit more, but it was still cheaper than the Round Table small. I also ordered a drink, which I refilled while I waited. I should have ordered a salad to eat while I waited for the pizza to cook. I took the pizza to go and ate 3 pieces for dinner and ate the other three pieces the next day for breakfast!! The pizza crust was nice, and the cheese good. However, I think he forgot to go light on the sauce, or else they have a ton of sauce normally. I have to say that the pizza did not reheat as well as I had hoped. I might go back here again, but I must say that I was not overly impressed.

Pizza Port

I tried out the Pizza Port in town and it was not as good as I remembered. The person at the register did not act welcoming, like I was interrupting her work or something. Their menu is not very flexible, but I did get a good pizza to go. The side salad was simply a pile of big romaine leaves with some grated cheese and croutons. I should have ordered the garden salad, which apparently includes some other items like olives, etc. The blue cheese dressing was too vinegary, but I ate this salad while I waited for my pizza to bake. The crust on their pizza is good, doughy like I prefer. I ordered the Longwood with no mushrooms and it had good flavor. The cheese consistency reminded me of the Domino's cheese, a bit grainy. This restaurant is great if you want to hang with the locals, play some arcade games, or watch a game on TV. They have long tables inside and a patio area outside (they kept the door open so all the cigarette smoke came in the restaurant). They do deliver after 4 pm, so I may try that so I don't have to go into the restaurant. One good thing, though, the register person told me to try the pizza place up the street for other flavors.

Follow-up: This restaurant recently has new owners who totally redid the theme of the restaurant. It is more open now, with a Hawaiian surfing theme. They are advertising as being more "family friendly", I suppose that means they are no longer catering to the partiers who I frequently saw dining on the patio? That said, their menu seems to be the same. They have bottomless sodas (although the soda was a bit flat) and the pizza guy actually hand-tosses the dough!! They kept the game machines, and there is one TV mounted on the ceiling. They seem to have added several picnic tables outside on the grass, but they still keep the patio door open, which could allow smoke to enter. I noticed that there is bar-seating, which is used by many locals. The salad came to me without a fork and the soda with no straw, utensils are self-serve. The napkins are too thin, especially for such a heavy meal.

I ordered a side salad, which was really good. The pieces were bite-sized (unlike my previous visit) and there was plenty of blue cheese dressing. I ordered it without onions and tomatoes. I wish it had something else, like maybe carrots.

The Longwood is a pizza with Ranch dressing as the sauce and baked chicken, I ordered without the mushrooms. It was tasty and I took half home for reheating later. I will have to see if they deliver. The chicken was a bit spicy, but tasty.

Sabetta's

I finally got a chance to try Sabetta's. They sell full-sized pizzas, but primarily they do the "pizza by the slice". They are great at mixing and matching, and I was allowed to order an Alfredo slice with only cheese for me. You have to wait while it cooks, of course, but the girl working there was pleasant company. Several locals came in while I waited, apparently having called in their order earlier. My sense is that the people working along Main St. come in for their lunch. I bought a soda and some chips. Tasty pizza, I will definitely be back. They also deliver if the total is more than $20. I imagine that the people who frequent the bars on the corners will take advantage of this late-night treat, since Sabetta's is open until 11 pm. I have found a pizza place that I enjoy and will frequent this place whenever I get the hankerin' for pizza.

I returned for lunch today and ordered a slice of pizza with a mixture of pesto and Alfredo sauce with chicken topping. It was fantastic, and I love that I could order exactly what I wanted :-)




No comments: