Saturday, June 20, 2009

Review - Restaurant - Great American Fish Company

This is one of the three restaurants that is on the north (Rock) end of The Embarcadero. The decor is clearly fisherman-themed, my table had some lures embedded in the plastic and other tables had maps, etc. There is a nice fish tank in the center of the room and a window in the middle of the room so that we can watch the cooks preparing the food. There were several large groups here, and there is a separate bar area that is quite full whenever I am here.


The first time I dined here the food was ok, nothing to write home about. The service was less than stellar, slow seating, ordering, and refills. Also, there was a mis-deliveries of food. I ordered the cheeseburger with fries, a salad, and a bottomless soda. I tried to substitute a side salad for the cabbage slaw, but they wouldn't even offer me a discount on the side salad. In fact, the server said "The salad is only $3.75". The salad was large, but it was all iceberg lettuce. I was happy that they had a pretty good blue cheese dressing. The burger was a bit dry, but the bun was good. They had double cheese slices and good healthy lettuce. The fries were seasoned and were pretty good.

I returned here to try the fish and chips (see separate Fish and Chips review) the service was much better, in fact even the busser was asking me if I wanted a soda refill. I have to say that the soda was fantastic, perhaps it was the cherry on the top?


They also brought bread to the table, don't know if they were getting ready for dinner. The wheat dinner roll was nice and fresh, but the sourdough roll was so hard and dry I didn't even eat it!!


They did make mistakes on my salad order, but it was romaine lettuce this time, and it was a smaller side salad rather than the dinner salad.

I dined here again recently, and I ordered virtually the same meal I had on my first visit. I was not as disappointed this time, and took some pics. I loved the salad, and the burger was nice also, but it was a bit dry and the bun was burned. The soda was only OK this time, no cherry!! The fries are lightly seasoned and good.



Didn't like their flimsy napkins, used many throughout my meal. I like that you can see through to the kitchen, but their server station was a bit "chatty". Their prices are a bit high, but I might return for a nice dinner, especially with a group.

No comments: