Sunday, June 14, 2009

Review - Restaurant - Maya Mexican Restaurant

From the outside this restaurant sort of looks like a walk-up type of restaurant, but inside they have booths by the windows and tables in the center. It was crowded with the breakfast crowd, but after a couple of questions to the cook it turned out I could order lunch. It used to be run by a bunch of guys, but now the ladies have taken over. They have made a lot of changes to the menu and service, I had to make a special request for lunch during the breakfast hour since they hand out the breakfast menu now. I find that the service is a bit lacking as well now, with mistakes to my order and them forgetting things like tortillas for fajitas and chips & salsa on the table. Also, the ladies don't offer to refill my soda, I have to ask them specially. They really do have the best chicken fajitas in town, so I will definitely return here often.

They have good chips and their salsa is not too spicy. They are light and crispy, without being greasy.


I order chicken fajitas, green salad, and a bottomless soda. The salad was small but good. Iceberg lettuce with carrots and cabbage mix, I ordered mine without tomatoes. They had blue cheese dressing, but it seemed to be the same brand all the local restaurants use which is a bit too vinegary for my taste. The last time I was there, though, the salad seemed to have been frozen, as it was limp and I couldn't even finish it.


Their chicken fajitas were wonderful with large chunks of chicken breast, seasoned just right. The chunks of chicken were easy to pick out of the bell peppers and onions. They come with beans and rice, and some guacamole and sour cream. They sometimes offer me an extra plate to "build" the fajita on, which I appreciate, but usually I have to ask them for the plate. They come with two tortillas, which are now larger so I can fit all my chicken into them.


Overall I am pleased with the quality and affordability of my meal at this restaurant. When I first came to this restaurant, when the guys were running it, I needed to avoid a young female server because she almost totally ignored me. I went to the tables that the men served and everything was fine. So far the ladies are doing a satisfactory job, but I have not left higher than a 15% tip since they took over because there is always something lacking in the service or quality of the food. I might have to seek out the restaurant where they moved the guys in the future, perhaps they are at the Los Osos restaurant?

Follow-up: I went here for chicken fajitas tonight and was quite disappointed!! They were dry, primarily due to the lack of veggies in the pan. I hadn't realized how much moisture the veggies added. They also gave me a plate with less sour cream and guacamole, without the bed of shredded lettuce under them. The service was slow, probably because they only had one server. I ended up eating two bowls of chips. The server was friendly, and probably overworked, but the food lacked quality. This was more than just disappointing due to the fact that this was to be my final restaurant meal for a long time since I ran out of my unemployment insurance.

Another follow-up: I stopped by here again during breakfast and they totally ignored me while I was at the table. The building was quite warm, there were no napkins or utensils on the table (even after my salad was brought to me). When I ordered the fajitas the server looked at her watch, I suppose that she decided it was late enough for fajitas. When my salad arrived it was drenched with water and there were no croutons. I watched her bring out another diner's burrito, and then 5 minutes later the rest of the table's food came out!! They didn't offer a chips refill, even though I had to wait quite a bit for the food to be served. When the "extras" plate came out it was placed WAY on the other side of the table!! And the plate was sort of "used" looking, not clean. It was almost like this was a different restaurant!!

More Follow-up: I dined here the other day and, as usual, I ordered the fajitas. I found it interesting that the men seem to be back in charge of the restaurant, the same men as before. Perhaps the men and women trade off restaurants seasonally? I know there is a Maya in Los Osos and I think I saw one in Paso Robles, as well. The "extras" plate was better than recently, but the fajitas were a bit dry. Also, the salad was simply shredded lettuce, not chunks. It had some shredded cheese on the top that I removed to use with my fajitas. The men were pleasant and the food is still good. I will still return here, since they really do have the best fajitas in town!!


Bottom line: The inconsistency of this restaurant can be frustrating, but the servers are usually friendly and their chicken fajitas are the best in town. I had lunch recently and their salsa was really spicy, don't know if they have changed it or if this was just a spicy batch.

No comments: